Monday, August 18, 2008

School is Approaching Fast

I'm usually not the kind of person to speak up or volunteer to do things first, but I was thinking a few weeks ago that I need to do these things to learn and have more opportunities. My new motto for vet school: Learn by doing. When the doctor asked if anyone wanted to try to suture a dog's ear, I had to volunteer. So those were the first sutures I had put into a live animal. It was fun! But my hands were shaking too much with the doctor watching. Also, it was harder than practicing on a sponge - getting the needle through the skin and come out where I wanted was sometimes a challenge.

Overall, I think my volunteering this summer was successful as I learned a few things and the doctors said I could come back on breaks from school. I think that's a good thing.

I think the going-away parties are signs that school is about to start and the summer is over. This is my last week. I have 1.5 days of work left. Then I move into my apartment on Thursday and Friday is orientation for vet school. I'm at the point where I can't prepare myself anymore so I just want it to start. Let's not put off the inevitable any longer.

I've never felt more unprepared for school in my life than I do right now. Fear is a good motivator sometimes and I am counting on it to push me to study harder than ever before. It should last at least the first few weeks.

No comments: